4:46 AM EDT Thursday 04 May 2017
Rainfall warning in effect for:
- Niagara Falls – Welland – Southern Niagara Region
- St. Catharines – Grimsby – Northern Niagara Region
Rain, heavy at times is expected. The ground, already near saturation, has little ability to absorb further rainfall.
30-50 mm of rain expected today through Saturday.
Rain will spread into Southwestern Ontario this morning and is forecast to persist into Saturday as the weather system responsible stalls over the region. The rain is expected to taper to showers late Saturday or Saturday night.
With the ground already saturated, there is the potential for local flooding. For information concerning flooding please consult your local Conservation Authority or Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry District office.
Localized flooding in low-lying areas is possible. Don’t approach washouts near rivers, creeks and culverts.
Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to email@example.com or tweet reports using #ONStorm.
Here’s some timely advice from the City of Welland:
- Remove debris from downspouts and point them away from the foundation wall, ideally onto the lawn or garden
- Clear Catch Basins when safely possible
- Don’t put kitchen waste, grease and oils down the sink as they can clog the sanitary sewer
- Seal cracks or openings in walls, floors, windows, foundations and window wells
- Ensure the grading around your home slopes away from the foundation wall
- Ensure your sump pump is properly working