WELLAND – Welland’s mayor, members of council and senior staff will be attending next week’s Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) Conference and have meetings confirmed with several ministers and parliamentary assistants. The theme of this year’s conference is “Municipalities: Ontario’s Frontline.”
The City of Welland’s delegation will be comprised of: Mayor Frank Campion, councillors Jim Larouche, Adam Moote, Lucas Spinosa, Leo Van Vliet, and Chief Administrative Officer Gary Long. In keeping with the city’s government relations strategy that strives to ensure Welland’s priorities are brought to the attention of the upper levels of government, the city has succeeded in securing the following meetings:
· Jim McDonnell, parliamentary assistant to the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing
· Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation and Francophone Affairs
· Stephen Crawford, parliamentary assistant to the Minister of Infrastructure
· Lisa MacLeod, Minister of Tourism, Culture, and Sport
· Andrea Khanjin, parliamentary assistant to the Minister of Environment, Parks, and Conservation
· Dr. Merrilee Fullerton, Minister of Long Term Care
· Prabmeet Singh Sarkaria, Associate Minister of Small Business and Red Tape Reduction
· Ernie Hardeman, Minister of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs
Mayor Campion was also invited by the province to participate in a roundtable discussion, facilitated by the Associate Minister of Small Business and Red Tape Reduction, regarding ways to streamline government processes and approvals to make it easier for businesses to invest, create jobs, and stimulate economic growth.
“There have been changes in the provincial Cabinet so we’ll be focused on building relationships and key contacts with new ministers and parliamentary assistants, outlining Welland’s priority projects, reviewing open files we have with their ministries, and discussing ways we can work together and partner in support of the city’s growth and development agenda,” said Campion.
Ontario’s Premier Doug Ford, Municipal Affairs minister Steve Clark, interim Liberal Leader John Fraser, NDP Leader Andrea Horvath, and Green Party Leader Mike Schreiner will be giving keynote presentations. Almost 2,000 participants from across Ontario will attend the conference August 19 – 22, at the Shaw Centre in Ottawa. For more information about AMO and the conference, visit http://www.amo.on.ca.
(Source: City of Welland news release)