By Terry Hughes
WELLAND – In addition to our ongoing HERITAGE LIVES series, we will feature from time to time two pictures about a historic spot. One photo will show a site or structure as it appears today, and the second photo will show the same site or structure as it was many years ago. A brief explanation will accompany each pair.
Our first photographs feature the buried swimming pool found today behind the Civic Centre/Library parking lot. When the pool was in use, it was the Cross Street pool.
The Heritage Committee has recommended this be designated as a historic site. The accompanying image, taken at the same spot around 1905, shows the structure functioning as the second canal aqueduct allowing boats with a ten-foot draft to sail over the Welland River that once flowed through here.
Imagine, over eighteen thousand cut-stone blocks made up this beautiful piece of masonry!
Next column: The Fort Erie Race Train.
(Terry Hughes is a Wellander who is passionate about heritage, history and model railroading. His opinion column, Heritage Lives, appears on the blog once or twice monthly.)