In this Welland neighbourhood, the return of the Witch of First Avenue signals Halloween is near. First Avenue resident Eleanor Clark started what has become an annual tradition in the late 1980s. Eleanor passed in January, 2013, but the tradition was continued by members of her family. The witch was returned to her familiar post earlier this week when Eleanor and husband Ken’s son-in-law Marcel Lessard put her into position for local residents and visiting passersby to see. The witch can be found on First Avenue at Trent Avenue. The bewitching photos were taken by the Clarks’ son, Ted.
Signage is now showing the name change for the French-language Catholic secondary school in Welland, formerly Jean Vanier. The new name, École Secondaire Catholique Saint-Jean-De-Brébeuf is posted on both sides of the message signboard at the corner of River Road and Woodlawn Road, but as of Tuesday afternoon, had not been added to the sign on the front of the school. Brébeuf was a French Jesuit missionary who worked among the Hurons. He was martyred in 1649 at the hands of the Iroquois, the Hurons’ enemy, during war between the two. Canonized and declared a patron saint of Canada in 1930, his remains are buried at Martyrs’ Shrine near Midland. As written in the authoritative The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything, A Spirituality for Real Life, Brébeuf’s “determination to understand the peoples with whom he ministered drove him to become fluent in the Huron language and compile that tongue’s first written dictionary.” Vanier, the disgraced Canadian who founded the nonprofit L’Arche to serve adults with intellectual disabilities, was found to have sexually assaulted six women (none of whom had intellectual disabilities) over a 35-year period. He died in May, 2019, aged 90. Several other schools across the country that bore Vanier’s name also have implemented name changes. (Photo by Joe Barkovich)
By Terry Hughes
Our postcard dated 1905 shows the “Church of England ” known today as Holy Trinity Anglican Church in its original form on Division Street, for which it abandoned its original location in the Irish Ward on Smith Street. This postcard image bears little resemblance to its present appearance.
In 1912 a bell tower and new entrance were constructed. A beautiful window of the Holy Mother replaced the main entrance to the interior and provided a location for the baptismal font.
The interior of Holy Trinity gives off a warm and comfortable feeling. Colourful stained glass windows telling the Biblical story enhance the walls along with rich panelling throughout. The archway at the end of the nave as you approach the altar has some handsome carvings. Here, the choir benches and organ are located along with the pulpit and the place where the gospel is read.
The altar is enhanced by a beautifully carved image of the Last Supper and cross where the Eucharist is celebrated. A railing still exists at the place where people receive the host and wine.
And looking down on his place of worship, a magnificent image of Jesus Christ is seen.
While attending Holy Trinity, the clergy who ministered to the parish during that time reflected a variety of what the Anglican community refers to as high, middle and low church. Canon Davis was a fired-up and emotional speaker and you never fell asleep during his sermons. In contrast, Father Harold Bagnall was more ‘high’ church and offered a less radical approach to his ministry. Archdeacon Hill was somewhere in between.
The service begins with a procession led by a person referred to as the crucifer carrying the cross followed by the choir and priest. Don Reilly often headed that procession as crucifer. Playing the organ was long-time choirmaster Harry Cawthorn who worked with the senior members and boys at eleven o’clock service while the girls were involved at the ten o’clock service.
The addition of the gymnasium in 1968 (parish hall building) expanded the services that the church offers to the community. In the present day, the monthly fish and chips dinner, served in that space, has become very popular with a huge following in the community.
Editor’s note: This should not be read as a complete history of Holy Trinity, whose storied presence here goes back to 1857. The original Holy Trinity on Smith Street was opened in 1859, and the move to the current site was made in 1878.
Next: Bonus column, Heading back to school after summer holidays in the ’40s.
(Terry Hughes is a Wellander who is passionate about heritage, history and model railroading. His opinion column, Heritage Lives, appears on the blog once or twice monthly.)
WELLAND – The City of Welland is re-opening more facilities and expanding services that keep people active, social, and connected to their city. The following facilities will offer modified or expanded services:
Welland Farmers’ Market
- Will expand to include both buildings, and outside vendors on Aug. 29, 2020
- Farmers’ Market hours will remain 8:00 a.m. to noon on Saturday mornings
- Patrons are reminded to practice physical distancing and wear face coverings
Welland Community Wellness Complex (WCWC)
- Will open on Aug. 31, 2020, for modified programs and services
- A new online version of the Wellness Guide will launch Aug. 28, with online registration beginning on Sept. 3
- The city’s program roster will grow in 2021 as more programs will become available with the winter program session
- Members are reminded to practice physical distancing and wear face coverings
City of Welland Main Arena
- Will open its doors to user groups on Sept. 8, 2020
- The arena will have strict public safety Return to Play protocols in place to help lessen the spread of COVID-19 and create a recreational space where participants feel comfortable and safe
- Recreation and Culture Ambassadors will be on-site to perform temperature screenings at the facility entrance and assist with hand sanitization and Return to Play procedures
- Spectators are not permitted in the arena due to provincial guidelines allowing a maximum of 50 people indoors; however, one parent or caregiver per child is allowed to enter with the child during registered ice-time
- Everyone entering the facility, from age five and up, must wear a face covering when not on the ice
“We’re confident that our Return to Play procedures will create an environment where people feel protected and can enjoy themselves,” said Richard Dalton, Manager of Recreation and Culture. “It will be great to have our members back at WCWC, expansion at the Market, and also see people having a good time out on the ice in the coming weeks.”
For more information on Welland Recovery, Moving Beyond COVID-19, visit www.welland.ca.
(Source: City of Welland news release)